Thursday 10 July 2014

7 Sisters of the Northeast of India

Popularly known as the "Seven Sisters", this nomenclature in reality denotes the seven states that comprise the northeastern part of the Indian subcontinent.

I am sometimes surprised when people from my own country, including the powers that be, refer to the seven states of the northeast of India as the 'Northeast'! I mean, come on people, this region comprises of seven states, namely, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Tripura. Each of these states have very distinct characteristics that are unique to each on its own. So clubbing them as one entity, does not do justice to the vibrancy that each state exudes!

Generalizing the region as the 'Northeast', I guess is fine, but to understand and experience the uniqueness of each of the constituents of the "Seven Sisters", one has to come and enjoy first hand what each one of these states has to offer. And I can assure you, that would be a handful. The warmth, natural beauty, simplicity and the colourful people will make you come back for more.

It is in no way my intention to make my posts a writ-up for promoting tourism of this region, in fact the truth couldn't farther. Thats the work of the respective state tourism departments, where everything is spruced and showcased for all and sundry. What my intentions are, is to give you a first hand information, with no holds barred, that would help you to understand this 'region' as a whole. 

I have started this journey with posts regarding my parent state of Assam, there's still so much more I need to share with you. I sometimes sit and wonder when will I get around to the other "Sisters" of the northeast of India?

But I guess, patience and perseverance and a good dose of viewership support from you guys out there, should get me there!

No comments: